What’s next for CIOs and CTOs? A move beyond the “information” and “technology” responsibilities of their roles, it seems. According to analyst firm Gartner, driving business growth is now a top priority, even as these executives remain focused on the digital transformations of their organizations.
Business growth, though, is dependent upon the ability to innovate and pivot in a fast-moving competitive landscape. As CIOs and CTOs evaluate how to manage disruption and change, they’re turning to Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS). Here’s why…
How UCaaS Helps Organizations Innovate and Pivot
- Business Model Change – A key challenge for CIOs and CTOs in delivering growth is supporting business model change. According to Gartner’s annual CIO Agenda survey, 49% say their organizations have already experienced a change in their business model. This trend appears likely to continue. In Gartner’s CEO Perspective survey, 63 percent of respondents said they plan to shift their business model by 2020. To support this vision, CIOs and CTOs must identify and guide specific initiatives that “change business models and drive consumer engagement, product management, and technology,” Gartner says.
- Return on innovation – While support for digital transformation is high, CTOs still must show a return on investment. Cloud communications lowers the total cost of ownership, of course, but it also facilitates innovation, which in turn leads to growth. For example, UCaaS allows dispersed teams to assemble and collaborate with ease, thus breaking down internal silos. Meanwhile, cloud communication offers the tools organizations need to deliver exceptional customer experiences.
- Streamline operations – In competitive markets, organizations must develop and launch new capabilities fast. To accelerate time to market, CTOs are replacing legacy technology, a step that is crucial to improving processes throughout the enterprise. As their competitors deploy cloud communications, businesses can’t afford to be left behind. CTOs see value in UCaaS because it opens new collaboration avenues and future-proofs the organization by giving employees access to the latest applications.
How UCaaS Future-Proofs the Business
- Adoption of AI – Another way to ensure the organization is prepared for whatever the future holds is to embrace artificial intelligence. AI adoption has increased 270 percent since 2015, Gartner says, and this jump illustrates just how competitive the environment will be. UCaaS enables organizations to snap into the Internet of Things with ease and take advantage of the full range of AI possibilities. This will be especially important as AI is all but certain to give rise to new business models.
- Better use of analytics – As teams across the organization—from sales and marketing to product and customer support—leverage analytics to find new revenue opportunities, CIOs must find a way to help data flow more freely. With UCaaS, they can streamline access for all employees. For example, sensors capture data in the factory and deliver it to product teams, who can use it to bring new solutions to market. In customer service, direct access to sales and marketing data allows agents to personalize every interaction and deliver a stellar customer experience.
- Develop smart spaces – As the Internet of Things becomes a bigger part of the workplace, leveraging it for efficiency and decision-making will become a greater priority for CIOs and CTOs. For example, conference rooms can be equipped with sensors to enable more efficient use of the space. With IoT and sensors, meetings can start the moment the organizer enters the room. On the factory floor, supervisors view production data on their mobile device as they walk the floor.
- Support mobility – By some counts, as much as 70 percent of employees could be working remotely by 2020. To conduct business in the near future, cloud communications will be a basic organizational requirement. With UCaaS, CIOs and CTOs can scale their mobile workforce with ease.
Perhaps the most compelling argument for UCaaS, however, is that it supports the top priorities of CIOs and CTOs. Not only will UCaaS help accelerate their digital transformations, but it also enables the innovation needed for business growth.
(Courtesy of Mitel Networks Corporation – Published on January 19, 2019)